Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam - Recipe from the Sure Jell box

 I have been enjoying this recipe for as long as I can remember. It was a family tradition to go pick strawberries every summer at BET - TER Gardens. That name originates from the owners Betty & Terry, dear friends of my Aunt Judy.  My mom & her sister and my cousins would go pick berries all day long. We ate a ton too (shhh don't tell)! :)

Trust me.... This recipe makes The Best Easy Freezer Jam! You will never go back to store jam, unless its the dire of winter and you have run out, and then you will be counting down the days until you can buy big plump juicy in season Strawberries and make this recipe!

1 qt. (2 c. crushed) ripe strawberries, washed and stemmed
4 c. sugar
1 package fruit pectin (I use Sure Jell; I don't even think I've seen a different brand)
3/4 c. water
8-oz. freezer-safe containers
Wash and dry the freezer-safe containers and set aside.

With a potato masher or in a food processor, mash the berries, leaving some chunks. Measure out 2 c. of berries into a large bowl. Stir in exactly 4 c. sugar and allow to stand for 10 minutes.

While the berries and sugar are co-mingling, whisk the pectin into 3/4 c. water in a small saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over high heat and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir into strawberry mixture for 3 minutes or until sugar is almost entirely dissolved.

Ladle the jam into the prepared containers, leaving about 1/2" at the top for expansion. Top with lids and allow to stand for 24 hours at room temperature. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze for 1 year.

Tip - Ziploc storage containers are a great alternative to storing glass in your freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment