Sunday, December 5, 2010

Dining Room Hutch Makeover

Projects are what get me thru the winter months.  The cabinet you see here is a two piece unit. The top portion is large curio cabinet with glass shelves, mirrored back, I will show you this redo later, its still in the garage.

Anyway, I took them apart, and sanded the bottom portion down heavily.  I have never really loved this piece as it was, but I've always thought it had really nice lines, and if I could decide on a finish, it would probably be a beauty when I was done. 

So a few weeks ago began tackling it. 

I was planning using the same aluminum leaf on it as I used on the turquoise tray show here now sitting on top of the hutch base.  After everything I read, it said to put a base coat on, before you apply the sizing liquid. 

I decided to apply a metallic silver coat, that way if the aluminum leaf didn't cover all the areas it wouldn't be a noticable as it was on the turquoise tray. 

Here is a shot after the first coat. I propped the piece up on wood blocks, as I didn't have anyone to help me move it.  The plan is to get the carpet ripped out this winter and put in handscrapped hardwood floors. So if I get any drips, well that's just more motivation to get the carpet ripped up! ;)

Change of plans.  As I applied the base metallic coats I began to like the way it was shaping up.  I did four coats of silver metallic inside and out.

Then I took 2parts raw umber and 1part glaze and stir well.  I wiped this on and then right back off, using cheese cloth.  Its important when doing this step to do it in one long  motion to cover the area you are working on.  That way the glaze doesn't bunch up in areas.  If this does happen, just lightly swipe over the area so that you remove it, without having to reapply to the whole area.  The raw umber just tones down the shine a little and in my opinion makes it look more opulent, like real silver.

I really LOVE the way it has turned out.
I feel like now its the special sparkle in the room. Just a little something to make the room seem like its celebrating us when we are in it! :)


The next project I'm contemplating, is gilding the chairs.  I'm nervous about doing the edges around the fabric, but after working with the leafing I think it is totally doable. If I mess up its ok because I really want to get rid of them anyway! ;)  

Doesn't the new hutch look perfect in this holiday setting. I'm also now in search of an 80" glass table top. Oh the plans swimming in my head. ;)

By the way, the metallic silver paint that I used on the hutch was a 16oz $4 bottle from Michaels in the craft section. It goes really far.  The glaze I already had on hand from various other projects. So this basically cost me $4 for the paint, $10.00 for the crystal handles I choose, and well I didn't even crack a sweat - its cold here you know. I still may add handles for the bottom, haven't quite found what I'm looking for, so I will just keep my eyes open.  I actually kind of like it just plain without any additional bling.

Very inexpensive way to turn this into something I now love!

No comments:

Post a Comment