Monday, November 22, 2010

How to get Paint OFF of Hinges, knobs, etc.

I have found over the years, that Baking Soda, Vinegar, & Hydrogen Peroxide can pretty much do everything! :) They have been Green for years! lol

So here's a quick tip that you might need someday.

I don't know about everybody else, but many times I'm starting a project I'm in a hurry, i'm always squeezing stuff in, in my life.  Like recently I decided to paint my vanity in my bedroom & my hutch. I did not have time to talk someone in to moving them for me, & I really didn't care about the pieces enough to truly prep them. Both are things that I have been wanting to get rid of for years, so any improvement in the items great.

One thing tho, I tend to change my mind OFTEN.  I like such a gamut of things that I tire of things easily, and my creative mind always wants to try something different.

So this tip is how to strip paint OFF of hardware, hinges, screws, knobs etc.  Anything that you might of decided to paint over without the necessary prep work, because at the time you didn't really care and it wasn't going to show anyway. 

All you need to do is...

Put a quart of water onto the stove, add in 1/4 cup of Baking soda & let it boil.
Drop in your hardware with paint, it will most likely start to fizz & you will feel like a mad scientist doing a science project! ;)  Wait about 15minutes, and then use tongs to pull out the first piece. The paint should show signs of peeling.  lay it on a paper towel, & allow it to cool for a few minutes.  Trust me that metal gets HOT - don't touch! Once it feels cool enough, You should be able to peel the paint right off.  If not, do the process over. 

This trick is something my Grams has sweared by for years. 
Her favorite motto (& mine too!) ... If it doesn't move - Paint it! lol :)

No comments:

Post a Comment