Sunday, November 14, 2010

Metallic Cabinet Redo

I love some of the mirror furniture finishes out there. I have always been a silver girl at heart.  I also have comtemplated many times what I could do to my vanity to update it, until I replace it.  I have been considering moving walls, and now and addition which has kept me stuck from doing anything. The floor which I want changed, the vanity, the sink, the closet, etc.  If I knock walls down and or do an add on, it seems so pointless to make any kind of real changes right now.  I also have been wanting more storage, so I decided to just buy a unfinished wood cabinet that I could paint and get some of the creative urge out of my system. 

So I went to Lowe's picked up a cabinet, then I went to Michael's and picked up a bottle of silver Metallic craft paint, 16oz.  and the creating began.  You just can't imagine how much I love doing stuff like this. 

I forgot to get a before shot, but just think of a completely unfinished cabinet, and here is the after...
I wish that it was a little taller.  I would like to rip those bright vanity lights down, but I really have no idea how to do electrical work, so for now, i'm leaving them alone.
I added this decorative paper on the front in 12x12 squares to cover the "unfinished oak wood grain" that is so prevanlent in cheap unifinshed cabinets from the store.  It picks up the other colors in the room and just gives it a little pop.  Remember its just a temporary fix until I can make the real changes I'm wanting to do, and for now I'm loving it! :)

VANITY BEFORE

In fact, i loved it so much that I decided the next morning to tackle the vanity.  Since it was laminate I thought I better sand and prime it.  Because of that prep work, the finish turned out darker, but equally stunning. 

VANITY AFTER

No comments:

Post a Comment