Sunday, November 7, 2010

Panzanella Soup

This is excellent choice if you are craving a hearty veggie soup.  I myself do not care for traditional vegetable soup.  I came up with this version as its a lot like my chicken noodle soup, but today I just wasn't feeling like I wanted to put any chicken in.  I even had the chicken all cooked and prepped, but I kept thinking it would taste better as a Chicken Blt Wrap to go with the soup. So I went this route, and Ooooh La La, so glad I did, it was a total hit.  The bread or Panzanella part of this soup, is like when you dip your bread into the gravy on your plate, but in this case its a whole bowl full. 

Did I mention yet, how souper easy this is? Seriously, it takes under 20minutes, and then just a little simmer and voila, you are ready to serve up a tasty bowl of goodness.

2 Zucchini's
2 Yellow Squash
1 Large Onion
2 Tbsp Butter
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
Tone's Canadian Steak Spice
1 Pkg Tones Chicken Gravy
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup (I use reduced fat)
2 boxes of Chicken Broth (again I use 1box reduced fat & 1 box low sodium)
Panetini (Italian Bread Toast) If you can't find this, Croutons will work also.
Shredded Swiss Cheese or Shredded Parmesan (for Garnish)


First cut all your veggies into slices.  I like to use the food processer so they are all the same thickness.

Melt Butter in your pot, and then add in Zucchini, Squash, and Onion.  Let it saute  nicely till its almost browned.  



Next add garlic powder, & a healthy dash (I go kind of heavy, because we like it spicy) of Canadian Steak Spice (you can purchase this in buld at Sam's Club) its great to have on hand for many dishes.  This really adds a lot of flavor. Stir, and mix the veggies all in it.

Now Add the Cream of Chicken Soup, mix well, then add in the chicken broth, then add in the chicken gravy. If you like you can reserve a coffee cup full of chicken broth and add the gravy mix to it, so that you can get it all mixed in with no lumps.  I on the other hand just stir really fast and mash any lumps I see forming. Either way works.

Let this simmer a bit, and then pour in about 2cups of Panetini. You can add more or less as you like. Let it all simmer a little longer, and then serve it up. 

Crumble a few extra Panetini pieces/croutons, & sprinkle a little parmesan or swiss cheese over top, the cheesy ooey goeyness mixes in with the bread nicely.

I'm telling you this Panzanella Soup is really delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment