Wednesday, April 7, 2010

MUSTARD BBQ SAUCE

My boys love slow cooked pork loin, and they love it even more when I make this Mustard BBQ Sauce to top it off.  This is a North Carolina Style BBQ Sauce.  Years ago there was a Burbank's BBQ restaurant, and they offered this Mustard based type sauce.  It was unlike anything in this area that I'd ever tasted. I loved it, and tweaked my own recipe until I was able to duplicate it to the best of my memory. It's  Really good on everything. We like to keep it handy in a squirt bottle, and its even good mixed in with smashed potatoes. Mmmm Try it & let me know what you think!
  1. 1/2 cup of prepared yellow mustard 
  2. 1/4 cup of cider vinegar 
  3. 3 tablespoons of brown sugar (dark) 
  4. 1/2 teaspoon of paprika 
  5. 1/2 teaspoon of Worstershire sauce 
  6. 1/2 teaspoon white pepper 
  7. 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (powdered) 
  8. 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper 
Mix and pour into a squeeze bottle. Goes great with Pork, Chicken, & Brisket. This mustard-based barbeque sauce has a smooth consistency...the tartness of the vinegar is balanced by the brown sugar sweetness. This quickly became a family favorite!
You can add more cayenne pepper. One full teaspoon of the red powder gives this sauce an enjoyable level of flame!

This barbecue sauce is good to baste with, but like other sauces with sugar, to prevent burning, it should only be used on the meat as it's finishing up on the smoker.

Did I mention... my boys LOVE this sauce! Try it, my guess is you will too!

1 comment:

  1. Bless you! I have missed the Southern Tang sauce ! I played Burbank's quite a bit over the years and loved the sauce. I can't wait to try this !

    ReplyDelete